Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day

I'd like to take a few moments to brag on my husband.

He is by far the best husband I ever could have imagined for myself. He loves me and takes such good care of me. He works hard for our family so I get to stay home with our girls. He's kind and sensitive to my feelings and my needs. He makes me laugh all the time. In the almost 3 years we've been married he's never raised his voice at me. He's patient with my crazy pregnant and postpartum hormonal mood swings. He always tries his hardest to make sure I am happy. He supports my parenting style and the techniques I use and whatever decisions I make for our girls. He loves to spend time with me and misses me when we don't get enough alone time and date nights. He is constantly striving to be a better spiritual leader for our family. And did I mention he gives me a back rub every single night? =-) He is my best friend and I couldn't ask for a better husband.
In addition to being the perfect husband, he is also the world's best father. He spends every waking moment that he's not at work with one of the two girls. Every day and all day long, Mercedes is constantly talking about daddy and what she's going to do with him when he gets home. And every day after dinner (and all day long on his days off), he and Mercedes have special daddy daughter time, either at the park, at the store playing with toys, at Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead, outside on the patio blowing bubbles or playing with water, swimming, "exploring" outside, cuddling and watching a movie, etc. etc. etc. Then every night he puts her jammies on, brushes her teeth, reads her stories and cuddles her to sleep. After she's asleep, he spends time with Emerald while I get ready for bed. He cuddles her, walks around with her, talks sweetly to her and sings to her. When Emerald cries, he helps me figure out what's wrong with her. On his days off, he goes with me to all of the doctor appointments, WIC appointments, grocery shopping, and any other errand we need to go on, and helps with the two girls.

Seriously. He really does all of that, I'm not making it up. Our family is incredibly blessed to have him in our lives.


I could never show him how much I appreciate him all in the one day a year dedicated to celebrating dads. I wish I could say that I show him how much I appreciate him every day, but since he deserves the best of the best from me every day, most days I fail at that. Still, I think he had a good Father's Day.

Me and the Mercedes (with a little help from Emerald) made him salt dough footprints, a simple and cute keepsake that he will cherish when the girls are older. 1 cup salt, 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup water. Mix and mold into whatever shape you want. Make the footprint. Poke holes at the top with a straw if you want to hang it on the wall. Bake at 200 degrees for 3 hours. Let cool. Paint with washable kids' paint (Mercedes helped me paint hers). We used thin wire to hang them. You could also use ribbon. These turned out super cute. Recipe found at: http://www.theimaginationtree.com/2011/06/salt-dough-footprint-keepsakes.html


We went to Perkin's for breakfast and then church. We spent the afternoon at my parents' house with my 3 brothers, my oldest brother's wife, my sister and her husband, visiting and playing games. We grilled for dinner. Check out my husband's super manly 12 oz. steak!


For dessert we grilled banana boats. Slit the banana in half lengthwise, stuff with your favorite toppings (we used chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, heath bar pieces, butterscotch chips, marshmallows and coconut shavings). Wrap in foil and cook on the grill until the toppings are melted. Serve with ice cream! These were incredibly delicious. Recipe found at: http://lickmyspoon.com/recipes/banana-boats/





I am looking forward to enjoying so many years of watching Ben constantly becoming a better and better daddy for our girls. He is amazing.

Dear Ben: Thank you for being amazing for your family. We love you! I hope you had an incredible 2nd Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment