Monday, November 19, 2012

30 Days of Thankfulness (2012)


I got a little carried away with my list and finished a few days early...

Day 1 My husband, my love, my best friend, my everything.

Day 2 Mercedes, my firstborn girl, who changed my life forever 2 1/2 years ago.

Day 3 Emerald, my sweet baby, my sunshine.

Day 4 My parents, who have always supported me, guided me, helped me make the right choices and become a confident adult with the ability to think for myself.

Day 5 Our home, which actually feels like a home (for the first time since I moved out of my parent's house) and has plenty of room for our growing family.

Day 6 Eastlake...my church family.

Day 7 Lawrence. I am so thankful to live in Lawrence where all of my friends and family live. Ben has sacrificed living by his family so I can live by mine and I am so thankful for that.

Day 8 My blog, which gives me a voice when I feel so invisible as a stay at home mom, and where I can share all the wonderful things we do as a family with other families all over the world.

Day 9 Facebook, so I can keep in touch with all of my friends and family who live all over the United States and otherwise would have lost touch with years ago.

Day 10 My facebook support groups, full of wonderful mothers who give me encouragement, words of wisdom and advice and who have become some of my best friends. I would not be the kind of mom I am now if I hadn't joined my first mom support group when Mercedes was 6 months old.



Day 11 Pinterest, which gives me SOOO many wonderful ideas of projects and activities to do with my girls and new meal ideas to feed my family.

Day 12 Nap time, when most of my blogging gets done and I have a chance to relax and enjoy peace and quiet for at least 1 hour a day.

Day 13 Gluten free food. When I was first diagnosed with Celiac Disease 8 years ago, there were almost no gluten free options and what WAS available was only at health food stores and everything was expensive and tasted nasty. I am so thankful that now the gluten free diet is becoming popular as a healthy diet even for people who do not have Celiac Disease so there are a ton of delicious gluten free options out there, even at normal grocery stores and almost every restaurant.

Day 14 Chocolate. Oh sweet chocolate. My life would not be complete without it.

Day 15 Our car. Yes, it is difficult only having one car to be shared with Ben who takes it to work every day. But I realize that one car is more than a lot of people have and I am so thankful that we have it.

Day 16 Hospitals. As much as I am an advocate for natural birth and as much as doctors freak me out and constantly annoy me, neither of my girls would have survived birth and I probably wouldn't have survived their births either without the intervention of medicine at the hospital.

Day 17 My midwife.  Deann Martin at The Women's Healthcare Group saved my baby Emerald's life when Emerald got stuck (several times) during birth, and also kept me from tearing even though Emerald was a massive 9 lb 4 oz baby. I love her and if I can help it, no one else will ever be delivering any of the rest of my babies.

Day 18 Tums, which have kept me from puking many, many times during pregnancy. =-)

Day 19 Breastfeeding. After struggling to breastfeed Mercedes for the short 10 months that she would cooperate with it, and after  fighting to breastfeed Emerald and keep my milk supply up during the whole tongue-tie, lip-tie struggle, I will never take breastfeeding for granted.

Day 20 My husband's job. Ben has a job that he loves, with great benefits and ways to work his way up through taking classes and certifications. He is making enough money to support our family so I can stay home and take care of the girls.


Day 21 Showers. Yeah, there was a time in my life when I used to take 7 long, relaxing hot showers a week. One every single day. Now I consider it a good day if I can sneak away for a 3 minute shower without both girls having a meltdown while I'm in there. Sometimes on Ben's days off, he watches the girls for me so I can take a gloriously long, hot shower and I am so thankful for those times. =-)

Day 22 Netflix. Ben and I love to find multiple seasons of our favorite shows, or JACKPOT, a NEW show with multiple seasons that we have never seen before but turns out we both love. I am thankful for this simple pleasure.

Day 23 Laughter/a sense of humor. Because when you have small children, sometimes things don't work out. Messes happen. Disasters happen. And sometimes all you can do is laugh.

Day 24 Groceries. Growing up, I took food for granted. My parents made sure that we never went hungry so I never thought much about it. Now I know what a struggle it is for people to make sure their families are well fed, and what a struggle it is for us sometimes. We have paid for groceries with credit cards, food stamps, or with the last money in our bank account. I am thankful for the food in our fridge and in our cabinets that I am able to use to cook delicious meals for my family.

Day 25 Our yard. Living in an apartment for the first 2 years of Mercedes' life, I am so thankful that we finally have a yard of our own so we have a place to put a sandbox, sprinkler, swimming pool, and any other fun outdoor toy that my husband discovers on Craig's List. We spend hours outside on every nice day which is a million times better (and healthier) than staying inside all day like we had to when we lived at our last two apartments.

Day 26 My camera. Because I can capture all of the beautiful, precious moments that I share with my girls while they are tiny, because they are growing way too fast. I am especially thankful for my camera right now because my old one just broke, and my understanding and loving husband signed up for a brand new credit card just so he could buy me a new one. =-)

Day 27 Our computer/the Internet. Without them I would not have my blog or facebook for which I am so thankful.

Day 28 Our health. I am thankful that since I married Ben and we started a family, none of us have had any serious health problems. We are all healthy and my girls have been healthy since birth. It is a wonderful gift to have our health and I am so thankful.

Day 29 My Chiropractor. Dr. Rock has saved my back after both of my pregnancies. Before the adjustments, I was in constant pain and it was even affecting my sleep. Now I feel as good as new. I will always see a chiropractor after each of my pregnancies. I don't know how people survive after childbirth without them!

Day 30 Restaurants. Because cooking 7 days a week takes it's toll, and it is such a wonderful treat when my husband suggests going out to eat so I can have a break from cooking. Plus restaurant food is delicious. =-)

No comments:

Post a Comment