Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Emerald's 1st Birthday Letter

Dear Emerald,

Today you are 1! I can't believe how fast this year flew by. It's amazing how quickly you are changing from a baby into a tiny little person, with your own thoughts, your own feelings, your own plans, your own unique little personality. 


Oh sweetie, you bring me so much joy. You are my sunshine. Playing with you, making you laugh, experiencing your smile (the biggest smile in the world)...you make me so happy. You make being a mom so much fun. You are truly God's gift to me. 


We have an amazing bond. You need me and I need you. We both sleep best when we're together. We both love it that you still breastfeed. We both get sad and anxious whenever we are apart. We are both perfectly willing to stop whatever we are doing for a cuddle break. I am so thankful that I get to stay home with you and not miss a second of your life. 


You are so happy almost all of the time. You are experiencing and learning all the joys of your little world but none of the heartache and pain. I'm so thankful for that. Your world is so innocent. So safe. So happy. Everything is exciting. Everything is new. You are seeing and enjoying everything for the very first time. I love being there to experience it with you. 


You are a toddler. You wasted no time learning to walk, and by now you are running around all over the place completely independently. You want to go everywhere and explore everything. It's my job to set limits and keep you safe. Sometimes you get mad and have meltdowns because I intervene for your own safety. Someday you will learn to trust me. Someday you will understand what's safe and what's not and why. But for now, I promise to be patient with your frustrations. I promise to keep reminding myself that you're 1 and your meltdowns and tantrums are out of frustration and you're not being "bad" or doing anything "wrong". I promise to try to sympathize with your feelings and be as gentle, kind and understanding as possible while I remind you of the limits and rules and keep you safe. I promise to let you explore and learn to your little heart's content as long as you are being safe. I promise that everything I do and every decision that I make is to keep you healthy, happy and safe. 

This year has been so much fun. I love watching you learn and grow and celebrating over every milestone. You are so amazing.

I love you, my sweet baby girl. Happy Birthday!



You may also want to read Emerald's Birth Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment