Saturday, June 15, 2013

Messy House, Happy Kids



This is what my house looks like today. In fact, this is what my house has looked like all week. It makes me feel overwhelmed, discouraged, and tired...until I take a closer look. The toys all over the living room are from hours and hours of playing baby doll, dress up, grocery store, kitchen, barbies, and Disney princesses. The dirty dishes are from eating bologna sandwiches, ice cream sundaes, and making peach bars by scratch. The markers and stamps all over the kitchen floor are from making Father's Day posters for Daddy. And when I think about all the fun we've been having over the past few days making it impossible to clean...grocery shopping (my girls LOOOVE grocery shopping!!!), a trip to the pool, playing in the sprinkler and in our wading pools, the library, the park for hours every morning, art projects for Daddy and other projects for Father's Day Week...it makes my heart so happy. I love my girls. And my messy house is proof of that.  

This saying has been floating around on facebook groups and pages the past couple years:

"Good moms have sticky floors, messy kitchens, laundry piles, dirty ovens, and happy kids."

That's the saying that keeps going through my head today as I  make paths around the living room so Emerald doesn't trip and fall every time she tries to walk across the room. I am not one to label myself a "good mom", but I do have exceptionally happy kids these days, and it's because I've left the housework alone and made it my priority to spend quality time with my girls. So I'm going to do my best to not stress out over the millions of chores that are almost always left undone, and I'm going to play with my kids. Because that's my most important job. I am not going to look back at my girls' childhood and wish that I'd done a better job keeping up with the housework. I am only going to think about how fast my babies grew and wish I'd had more time with them while they were small.

Today is a great day. Today is a total success. Because while my house is a disaster, my kids are happy and know that they are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment