Stone Tablet illustrations
On 2 pieces of gray cardstock, I printed the 10 commandments along with a preschool age definition. Show the kids the stone tablet illustration while you tell them the story:
God loved His people. He wanted them to be happy. He told Moses to climb a big mountain. Moses climbed the mountain and talked to God there. God gave Moses 10 rules for His people to obey. The rules were to protect His people.
(Have the kids help count on their fingers while you read: "rule #1, rule #2, rule #3, etc.)
1) Do not worship other gods. The people in Egypt worshiped lots of gods. They prayed to these gods. They prayed to sun gods and rain gods and animal gods and all kinds of gods. But there is only one true God, the God in the Bible. And God says, "Only worship me. Only pray to me."
2) Do not make idols to worship. The people in Egypt also made statues out of wood and stone to worship. They prayed to these statues too. But God says, "Only worship me. Only pray to me."
3) Do not use God's name in a bad way. God's name is special. Nobody should say God's name unless it is out of respect.
4) Remember the Sabbath day. The people were suppose to work for 6 days a week, and then use the 7th day to rest and learn about God. We take time to learn about God every Sunday at church and we relax on that day, too.
5) Respect your parents. God put parents in charge of their children. Children need to show God that they love Him by respecting their parents.
6) Do not murder. It is wrong to kill. God wants us to love people, not hurt them.
7) Do not commit adultery. God's plan is for husbands and wives to only belong to each other as long as they live. God wants married people to be faithful to each other.
8) Do not steal. God says don't take things that don't belong to us. It is wrong to take things that belong to other people.
9) Do not lie. God wants us to always tell the truth. Lying is wrong.
10) Do not covet. To covet means to want something really bad that belongs to someone else. God wants us to be happy with what we have. If someone else has something nice, we should be happy for them.
God wants us to follow these rules too. When we disobey God, it makes us very sad and it makes our lives harder. When we obey Him, it makes us happy and it makes God happy too and He blesses us. We need to remember to always obey God's rules.
10 Commandment Handprint Craft
10 Commandment Strips of Paper Craft
Moses and the 10 Commandments Coloring Page
The words of this story were copied from some preschool Bible flashcards that belong to my mom (copyright by CRC Publications 1988...this is the only info I have on the cards. I'm not sure where they originally came from). I am posting this for Sunday School and homeschooling purposes only and I do not claim myself as the author of these stories.