Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Lesson 13: Samuel and Eli

Supplies:
Bible (pg 124-127)
Paper people
Felt/paper beds
Plastic echo microphone for God's voice

Once there was a lady named Hannah. Hannah was a friend of God. She prayed to God every day. She told God all the things she thought about. She told Him about all the things she wanted, too. More than anything else in the whole wide world, Hannah wanted a baby. Hannah didn't have any children at all. That made her very sad. She told God, "I want a child so badly! If you give me a child, I promise that I will give him back to you. He will serve you his whole life."

Much later, God DID give Hannah a baby! A baby boy. His name was Samuel. Hannah loved Samuel very much. She kept her promise to God. When Samuel was old enough to feed and dress himself, she took him to the temple where he would learn to serve God (show picture in Bible)



Samuel lived in the temple and helped a priest named Eli do his work (show paper people). Eli taught Samuel how to serve God. Samuel loved God. One night, God decided to talk to Samuel. Samuel and Eli were both asleep (put paper people in their felt beds). Suddenly, a voice said "Samuel, Samuel!" (use microphone to make a loud voice). Samuel woke up and ran to Eli (act out running back and forth from bed with the paper people). "Here I am,  Eli", Samuel said, "What do you need?" Eli said, "I didn't call you. Go back to bed." Samuel went back to bed. "Samuel, Samuel!" the voice said again. Samuel jumped out of bed and ran to Eli. "You called me again." "I did not call you." Eli said. "Go back to bed." Samuel went back to bed again. "Samuel, Samuel!" the voice said again. Samuel ran back to Eli. "You called me again. what do you need?" Eli said, "I know who is calling you. GOD is calling you. When you hear the voice again, tell God that you are listening carefully." Samuel went back to bed and listened. God said, "Samuel, Samuel!" Samuel said, "Yes God, I am listening."

God talked to Samuel and told him some very important things. Whenever God talked after that, Samuel listened carefully to every word God said.

Hannah talked to God and told Him what she wanted and needed, and God listened. God talked to Samuel and Samuel listened.  It's important that we talk to God through prayer like Hannah did. God always listens when we talk to Him. It's also important that we listen to God when He talks to us. God may not talk to us like He talked to Samuel, but He DOES talk to us through the Bible. We need to learn what the Bible says so we can listen to everything God wants to tell us.

Craft Ideas:
"I Will Listen When God Speaks to Me" Craft
Samuel Coloring Page
Samuel Coloring Page #2

 The words of this story were copied from some preschool Bible flashcards that belong to my mom (copyright by CRC Publications 1988...this is the only info I have on the cards. I'm not sure where they originally came from). I am posting this for Sunday School and homeschooling purposes only and I do not claim myself as the author of these stories.

1 comment:

  1. There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. See the link below for more info.


    #talked
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete