Thursday, August 29, 2013

Lesson 17: Elisha and the Widow's Oil

Supplies:
Bible (pg 200) 
Dixie cups

Once there were two little boys who lived with their mom. The boy's father had died. The boys' mom was very sad. She did not have any money. She did not have a job. But she did have two very hungry little boys! Everything was going wrong. How could she find food for two hungry little boys and herself?

But she knew what to do. There was a man named Elisha. Elisha was God's friend. She knew he could help her! "Elisha, what can I do?" The woman asked. "How can I feed myself and my two boys? How can I get some money?" Elisha asked, "what do you have in your house right now?" The woman said, "I have nothing in my house. All I have is a little jar of oil (hold up a dixie cup).

That was enough for Elisha. And that was enough for God! Elisha told the woman what to do. "Go home and get as many jars as you can. Get jars from your friends. Get jars from your neighbors" (Set up dixie cups). Then pour your little jar of oil into ALL the jars.



The hungry woman looked at her little jar of oil. There would never be enough to fill all the jars! But she believed God would help her. She did just what Elisha told her to do. She and her two boys went everywhere asking for jars.

Then the woman started to pour oil into a jar (pretend to pour oil into the dixie cups). Then another. Then another. It poured until all the jars were full! Jars of oil were standing all over the house (show pic in Bible) God kept that little jar of oil pouring! The woman and her boys were so happy!

Now they could bring the oil to the store and get money. Then they could use the money to buy food. God was taking care of them. God takes care of us too!

Craft Ideas:
"God Takes Care of Me" Jar of Oil Craft
Widow's Oil Coloring Pages

The words of this story were copied from some preschool Bible flashcards that belong to my mom (copyright by CRC Publications 1988...this is the only info I have on the cards. I'm not sure where they originally came from). I am posting this for Sunday School and homeschooling purposes only and I do not claim myself as the author of these stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment