Thursday, August 29, 2013

Lesson 19: Jonah and the Big Fish

Supplies:
Bible (pg 268-269)
Paper Jonah
Paper Boat
Paper fish

Create props to act out the story as you tell it:



The boat has a piece of card stock glued around the bottom and edges so Jonah can slip inside.



The fish is made of two fish papers glued around the edges except the mouth so Jonah can slip inside.


Once there was a man named Jonah (hold up paper Jonah). God gave him a hard job to do. God said, "Jonah, I want you to go to a big city far away. Talk to the people who live there. Tell them that they are very bad people. They are doing things that make me angry. Tell them I'm going to destroy their city if they don't stop."

Jonah thought and thought. He didn't want to go and talk to the bad people. He didn't want to obey God. Jonah thought, "I will hide from God! Then I won't have to obey Him." So Jonah hid on a ship (put paper Jonah in the boat). The ship was ready to sail far away. Jonah thought, "God will never find my hiding spot". 

But God DID see Jonah. God knew Jonah wasn't obeying Him. So God sent a very bad storm (show pic in Bible). Everyone was afraid! Jonah went to the people on the ship. He said, "this storm is my fault. If you throw me into the water, the storm will stop. Then you will be safe."

So the people threw Jonah into the water (take Jonah out of the boat). And then the storm stopped! Do you think Jonah drowned? No! God was taking care of Jonah. God sent a BIG fish to swallow Jonah so he wouldn't drown (put Jonah in fish). While Jonah was inside the fish, he prayed to God. He said, "God, I'm sorry I didn't obey you. I'm sorry I tried to hide from you. I will do that job. I will go tell the people in the bad city about you. I will obey."

Jonah was inside the fish for three days. Then the fish spit Jonah out on land (take Jonah out of the fish). What do you think Jonah did? Jonah obeyed. He went and told the bad people that God wanted them to be good. And all the bad people told God they were sorry. They wanted to obey God too! God heard them and was happy. He decided not to destroy their city.

Jonah learned that you can never hide from God. God sees us always. God wants us to do what He tells us to do. He wants us to obey Him always.

Craft Ideas: 
Jonah and the Big Fish Craft #1
Jonah and the Big Fish Craft #2
Jonah and the Big Fish Craft #3
Jonah and the Big Fish Craft #4
Jonah and the Big Fish Coloring Page #1
Jonah and the Big Fish Coloring Page #2

The words of this story were copied from some preschool Bible flashcards that belong to my mom (copyright by CRC Publications 1988...this is the only info I have on the cards. I'm not sure where they originally came from). I am posting this for Sunday School and homeschooling purposes only and I do not claim myself as the author of these stories.

1 comment: