Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Lesson 33: Mary and Martha

Supplies:
Bowl and pitcher cutouts
Mary and Martha illustration

Jesus had many friends. Two of his friends were Mary and Martha. Martha was a good cook. Everybody liked to eat at Martha's house! Mary was Martha's sister. Mary liked to listen. Whenever Jesus came to their house, Mary sat at his feet and listened to him talk about God.

One day Martha got angry with Mary for listening. Martha was so busy in the kitchen (act out stirring, pouring, cooking, etc. with bowl and pitcher cutouts)


 She had to cut the vegetables. She had to cook the meat. She had to get the dishes out to put on the table. And Mary didn't help. She just sat and listened to Jesus. Martha did all the work all by herself. Mary listened to Jesus.

Mary was mad (show illustration).


Martha came to Jesus said, "Jesus, this isn't fair. I've been doing all the hard work. I've been working all by myself! Mary just sits here and listens. Don't you think she should come and help me?

Jesus loved Martha. He loved the good food she made too. And he loved all the things she did for other people. But Jesus said, "No Martha. You are my friend and I love you. But you are wrong. Listening to me is the most important thing you can do. Mary is doing the right thing! Martha, come listen to me. Hear about my love for you. Sit down and listen to me."

Listening to Jesus is the most important thing we can do. It's good to do nice things for people and to work hard. But nothing is more important than listening to Jesus. We can listen to Jesus by praying and reading our Bibles and paying attention in church and Sunday school.

Craft Ideas:
Coloring Page #1
Coloring Page #2
Coloring Page #3

The words of this story were copied from some preschool Bible flashcards that belong to my mom (copyright by CRC Publications 1988...this is the only info I have on the cards. I'm not sure where they originally came from). I am posting this for Sunday School and homeschooling purposes only and I do not claim myself as the author of these stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment