Friday, April 11, 2014

The Counting Rocks Game


I love incorporating learning into our play time. Mercedes doesn't even realize she's "doing schoolwork"! On this beautiful, sunny spring day we were drawing with sidewalk chalk. I started writing random numbers on the sidewalk and asking Mercedes if she could name them (we're working on number recognition, numbers 1-10). Then I'd ask her if she could find that many rocks. She started running back and forth from the gravel driveway to the sidewalk, picking up however many rocks she needed for each number. 



This game took her quite a while and when she was done she asked if we could take all the rocks away and play again! To me, this is what "homeschooling" is all about. Creating learning opportunities during play time and normal life situations to make learning fun and practical. It's never forced. It never feels like a chore or a burden to her. She loves learning and my goal is to keep it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment