Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Lily Pads (Spinach Pancakes)


For those of you who have children (or husbands) who are anti-veggies, this is a delicious way to hide spinach! Mercedes (my picky eater) adores them. When I tell her I'm going to make them she actually starts jumping up and down yelling "YAY!" She eats them with ketchup. My husband eats them with ranch dressing. I think they taste wonderful just as they are. Last night I made them for dinner with a side of bacon. 

Ingredients:
2 cups of packed fresh spinach
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour (we use gluten free flour)
1/2 cup milk
slices of cheese (I cut the cheese with a circle cookie cutter so they look more fun for the girls)

Directions:
Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender until it is completely liquefied and the consistency of pancake batter (it is sometimes necessary to add a bit of extra milk). Heat a frying pan over medium low heat and brush lightly with butter. Drizzle batter onto the pan in circles about 2 inches in diameter. Cook 1 minute or until the edges turn dull. Flip each lily pad and top with cheese. Cook an additional 30 seconds or until cheese melts.

Basically cook them as you would pancakes.

This amount serves the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids). I like to double the recipe and store half the batter in the fridge for lunch the next day. 

This recipe is from the Sesame Street Silly Snacks cookbook. This book has lots of delicious and healthy kid friendly recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment